Today, August 13th, an update of the current regulations have been published in regards to the license reform.
Following the professional discussion that I held today with those responsible for cars and driving – the following are the main points.
This document details the main changes:
Regulation 173 – the validity of a license for all foreigners (that are not citizens) has been extended from 3 years to 5 years.
Regulation 196(b)(1) – canceled – this means that the obligation of eye examinations for a person 40 or older has been canceled for license renewal!!!
Regulation 216, after subsection (c), a new subsection will be added (c)(1) as follows – “Notwithstanding the provisions of this regulation, an applicant who has a current permanent foreign driver’s license of at least 5 years, they are equal to one of the levels listed in regulations 176-178,
(1) Exemption from an eye exam as stated in sub-regulation (a)(3)
(2) Exemption from a driver’s exam as stated in sub-regulation (a)(4)
I would like to comment here on the change in regulation 216 as it effectively cancels the majority of conversion tests.
From now on, a new immigrant, a returning resident, anyone who appears in the system as a registered foreigner, including foreign workers who wishes to change his license to an Israeli license and has a license from his country of origin with at least 5 years of experience – he will receive an Israeli license without exams.
This change only applies to persons holding a T, A, or B type license.
A person who does not hold this level of license as detailed above and/or has less than 5 years of driving in his country of origin – they must complete the standard procedure of a conversion test.
Additional point – when converting a license – an eye exam and medical exam are not required unless a person is over the age of 70, where a medical exam will be required, as is the law for an Israeli citizen.
On a practical level:
1) The only document that we are required to request from the applicant is a valid driver’s license from the country of origin and to ensure that it is more than 5 years old.
2) Before the license in converted, the applicant must go to a photography station for the issuing of a license in order for his picture to be in the database of plastic license (permanent license).
3) For those that are foreign workers that receive a 5 year license, their license will remain on paper only and the license will be marked “valid only with valid visa.”
Director of Licensing Division
Department of Transportation